President Kennedy's Birthday Gala: Fact vs. Fiction | What's really true and what's folklore?
June 26, 2023
Scott Fortner & Elisa Jordan
In this episode of All Things Marilyn we break down the facts and the rumors about President Kennedy's birthday gala at Madison Square Garden in New York on May 19, 1962. What are the facts? What's true and not true? There are so many stories, rumors, legends, and lies about this historic event:
- Marilyn bought five tickets at $1,000.00 to attend President Kennedy’s birthday gala, even though she was a performer! Who were the other four tickets for?
- What’s the history of the gown Marilyn wore to the event? Who designed it? How much did she pay for the gown? Was she really sewn into the dress? Is it true that it’s the most expensive dress in the world?
- Was Jackie Kennedy at President Kennedy’s birthday gala?
- Did Marilyn really give JFK a gold Rolex watch as a birthday gift that night?
- There are photos of Marilyn holding an item in her hand at the event. What was it?
- Was Marilyn really intoxicated when she performed “Happy Birthday Mr. President” for JFK?
- Did Marilyn and President Kennedy spend the night together after the birthday gala?
- Did Marlene Dietrich influence Marilyn’s performance that night?
- Who really did Marilyn’s hair and makeup for the birthday gala?
Get all the facts here. And, hear Marilyn's own words as she speaks about the event.
ATM Podcast: @allthingsmarilynpodcast
Artwork by @marilynmexico
Soundtrack by @silver_technicolor